[DRBD-user] linstor-csi-0.8.0

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Thu Apr 16 15:30:47 CEST 2020

Dear LINSTOR on k8s users,

Today we released version 0.8.0 of the LINSTOR CSI driver. The most
noteworthy feature/change is support for LINSTOR resource groups (RG).
All the parameters that can be set on a k8s storage class (SC) that make
sense in the context of a LINSTOR RG are stored in the per SC defined
RG.

This cleans up the code nicely, as properties set on a resource group are
inherited to all resources of the resource group, and it allows to set
DRBD options in the SC. This is documented with an example here[1].

Users really should move to SCs that have a "resourceGroup" parameter
set. In the documentation it is already mentioned as mandatory. I tried
hard to not break existing deployments, so *for* *now* SCs without a
"resourceGroup" are fine at the cost of an auto-generated resource group
per PVC (which if it gets deleted also deletes the auto-generated RG).
The SC is the supposed and only way to define properties of a RG. The
driver might delete/overwrite manually set ones.

Upstream code can be found here[2].

If you need container images that are RHEL/OpenShift certified, get in
contact with sales at linbit.com, we run a container registry with such
images for our customers.

Regards, rck

Changelog:
- Changed
  - moved upstream to piraeus
  - License changed to Apache2 (from GPLv2)

- Deprecated
  - SCs without a resourceGroup parameter. For now we create a random
    LINSTOR RG for every PVC of a SC that does not specify
    resourceGroup.  You should get rid of these SCs soon.

- Added
  - TLS mutual auth support for LINSTOR API endpoint
  - support for LINSTOR resource groups. Every storage class maps now
    to a LINSTOR resource group.  DRBD options can now be specified in
    the SC as "parameter".  See the example in class.yaml. Keys as
    specified in the LINSTOR REST API.

[1] https://www.linbit.com/drbd-user-guide/linstor-guide-1_0-en/#s-kubernetes-basic-configuration-and-deployment
[2] https://github.com/piraeusdatastore/linstor-csi/