[DRBD-user] MariaDB 10.4, Linstor controller HA

Volodymyr Litovka doka.ua at gmx.com
Thu Apr 2 12:28:17 CEST 2020

Hi Gábor,

==== linstor.toml

[db]
   user = "linstor"
   password = "xxxxxx"
   connection_url =
"jdbc:mariadb://db_host/LINSTOR?createDatabaseIfNotExist=true"

==== of course, did this in SQL side:

MariaDB [(none)]> create database LINSTOR;
MariaDB [(none)]> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON LINSTOR.* TO 'linstor'@'%'
IDENTIFIED BY 'xxxxxx';

==== I downloaded MariaDB connector as suggested by 2.12.2 in Linstor
user guide:

root at stor1:/usr/share/linstor-server/lib# wget
https://downloads.mariadb.com/Connectors/java/connector-java-2.6.0/mariadb-java-client-2.6.0.jar

Thank you.

On 02.04.2020 13:20, Gábor Hernádi wrote:
> Hello,
> see answers inline
>
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 12:09 PM Volodymyr Litovka <doka.ua at gmx.com
> <mailto:doka.ua at gmx.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear colleagues,
>
>     is it possible to use DB backend for keeping state of controller
>     in order to provide HA, instead of drbd volume like described
>     here? - https://www.linbit.com/linstor-controller-pacemaker/
>

> It is! In fact, LINSTOR uses by default H2 as SQL database. However,
> mariadb should also work just fine.
>
>     I can't check whether it works or no, because after configured
>     [db] section in linstor.toml with username/password/connector I
>     hit the error message below (spoiler: "Unsupported Database
>     MariaDB 10.4").
>
>     So, two questions:
>
>     1) whether it is possible to use SQL as a backend for HA
>     configuration?
>     1.1) if not - which role plays SQL in controller's life?
>     2) MariaDB 10.4 is fairly stable and back-compatible with 10.x,
>     whether it can be supported by Linstor?
>
> The mentioned error message is a bit strange. Would you mind showing
> me the jdbc string you are using? Make sure that it does not contain
> sensible data.
> Also, which .jar are you using for your mariadb jdbc driver?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Gabor Hernadi

Volodymyr Litovka
   "Vision without Execution is Hallucination." -- Thomas Edison