[DRBD-user] DRBD 9 auto-promote not changing role to Primary, but is writable

Doug Cahill handruin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 22:28:03 CET 2019

I spent some more time looking into this with another developer and I can
see while running "drbdsetup events2 r0" that there is a quick blip when I
add the drbd r0 resource to my pool as the log device:

change resource name:r0 role:Primary
change resource name:r0 role:Secondary

However, if I export and/or import the pool, the event never registers
again.  When I write to a vdisk on this pool I can see the nr:11766480
dw:11766452 counts increase on the peer which leads me to believe blocks
are being written, yet the state never changes.

I also tried to run dd to the "peer" side drbd device while the "active"
side was writing data and found a message stating the peer may not become
primary while the device is opened read-only in my syslog which doesn't
make sense.  The device is being written to, so how is the block device
state being tricked to thinking it is read only?

=========in the log from the node I'm writing to the drbd resource
drbd r0 dccdx0: Preparing remote state change 892694821
drbd r0: State change failed: Peer may not become primary while device is
opened read-only
kernel: [92771.927574] drbd r0 dccdx0: Aborting remote state change
892694821