[DRBD-user] Missing Linstor/DRBD resource files after reboot

Nicholas Morton kmorton at cancinc.com
Sun Mar 31 03:29:59 CEST 2019

I believe I may have discovered the cause of my problem.

I rebooted one of the servers and of course it only had 13 of 28 resources
repopulated in /var/lib/linstor.d/
The Linstor controller didn't produce any errors, but the satellite made 88
error reports.
Almost every single error was related to linstor running "vgs" and it timing
out.

--cut--
    Failed to verify volume group name
Cause:
    External command timed out
Additional information:
    External command: vgs -o vg_name --noheadings
--cut--

A quick google search for slow vgs respone lead me to "vgs -vvv" and I found
that when the LVM was scanning for physical devices it was getting hung up
on a drbd device.

root at vmhost5:~# vgs -vvv
--cut--
        /dev/sde1: Skipping (regex)
        /dev/sdf: Skipping (regex)
        /dev/sdg: Skipping (regex)
        /dev/drbd1000: open failed: Wrong medium type
        /dev/drbd1000: Skipping: open failed
        Opened /dev/drbd1001 RO O_DIRECT
      /dev/drbd1001: size is 134221744 sectors
--cut--
There was a long pause on screen between the line skipping /dev/sdg and
/dev/drbd1000 open failed

I've added "r|/dev/drbd*|" to my lvm.conf filter and will be working on
tuning it further. I hope/believe that will solve my issue. After a few days
and some testing, I'll report my results.
Running vgs didn't take particularly long, so I don't think the
linstor-satellite timeout period is very long.

Kyle Morton | IT Admin
O: (800) 803-6070 x240
C: (918) 776-7574