[DRBD-user] Troubles with Linstor on Proxmox/ZFS

Gábor Hernádi gabor.hernadi at linbit.com
Wed Mar 27 15:36:31 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 12:00 PM Massimo De Nadal <maxx at digital-system.it>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm having some problems with Linstor on a Proxmox ZFS pool.
> First strange think is this:
>
> LINSTOR ==> storage-pool list
>
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | StoragePool | Node     | Driver   | PoolName | FreeCapacity |
> TotalCapacity | SupportsSnapshots |
>
> |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | tank        | pve-DEV1 | ZFS_THIN | tank     |     6.33 PiB |      7.25
> PiB | true              |
> | tank        | pve-DEV2 | ZFS_THIN | tank     |     6.30 PiB |      7.25
> PiB | true              |
>
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> Obviously I don't own an 8 Petabytes pool!!
>
>  # zpool list
> NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
> tank  7.25T   706G  6.56T         -     5%     9%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
>
> Second problem:
> LINSTOR ==> resource create drbd-600-disk-0 --auto-place 2 --storage-pool
> tank
> SUCCESS:
>     Resource 'drbd-600-disk-0' successfully autoplaced on 2 nodes
> Details:
>     Used storage pool: 'tank'
>     Used nodes: 'pve-DEV1', 'pve-DEV2'
> ERROR:
>     (Node: 'pve-DEV2') Preparing resources for layer StorageLayer failed
> Details:
>     External command used to query logical volume info: zfs list -H -p -o
> name,used,volsize,type -t volume,snapshot
> ERROR:
>     (Node: 'pve-DEV1') Preparing resources for layer StorageLayer failed
> Details:
>     External command used to query logical volume info: zfs list -H -p -o
> name,used,volsize,type -t volume,snapshot
>

> Seems like linstor had trouble invoking ZFS commands on controllers.
>
> Is really ZFS supported on Proxmox as Linstor backend ??
>
> Thank you.
> _______________________________________
> Massimo De Nadal
>
> Digital System srl
> Via E.B. Mondin 7 - 32100 - Belluno (Italy)
> tel. +39.0437.296539 - fax +39.0437.917154
> sip:maxx at digital-system.it
> email:maxx at digital-system.it
> http://www.digital-system.it

Hello,

regarding your impressively large storage pool - you are correct, linstor
is missing a division by 1024. I already found the issue and fixed it. I
also found and fixed some other (hopefully unrelated) bugs within the
ZfsProvider class.

However, regarding your second issue, from what I see without the full
ErrorReport the mentioned external command returned something that could
not be parsed as a number. That is likely something like a '-' instead of a
number in the output table of 'zfs list ...'.
Can you please run that 'zfs list -H -p -o name,used,volsize,type -t
volume,snapshot' command on pve-DEV1 and pve-DEV2 and see if there is
something suspicious?
Otherwise feel free to send me the ErrorReport from that failed 'resource
create ...' command, or what might be better is to simply open a ticket in
https://github.com/LINBIT/linstor-server/issues and attach the ErrorReport
there.

Thank you for reporting and sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Gabor