[DRBD-user] Rescue a drbd partition

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Mon Jan 21 10:09:34 CET 2019

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 12:15:50PM +0100, Jeroen van Iddekinge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a qnap  nas (TS-851) that uses  DRBD over linux raid partition.
>
> The problem is that the device has a hardware problem and doesn't boot.    I
> want to rescue the data by attaching the disks to a computer, read the
> partition and copy the data.
>
> My question is, how can I access the files on the drbd partition?  I would
> like to do it as safe as possible
>
> Is there an easier way than installing a drbd server?

Think of DRBD as a filter. It receives data from above, writes some
meta-data at the end of the disk, sends the data over the network and
forwards it down to the next layer/disk locally. That's it, simple,
right? :).  So you can access the data in the worst case without needing
DRBD. Of course be aware that you might modify data without telling the
meta-data. But in a last resort recovery scenario this usually is not a
problem. So do your normal rescue ops.

Regards, rck