[DRBD-user] linstor-proxmox-2.9.0

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Sat Sep 1 09:59:43 CEST 2018

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 09:26:13PM +0200, kvaps wrote:
> Hello Roland,
>
> Thanks for announce, I just want to say, in docs said:
>
>     systemctl edit linstor-satellite
>     # Change the "ExecStart" line to include: --keep-res=vm-100
>     # "vm-100", if 100 is your VM ID is good enough, remember, it is a
> regular expression
>
> This is wrong, because in this case you will edit file which is part
> of linstor-satellite package and it will be overwritten after any
> update:
>    # dpkg-query -S /lib/systemd/system/linstor-satellite.service
>     linstor-satellite: /lib/systemd/system/linstor-satellite.service

And I would say you are wrong on that ;-).

It is exactly the job of "systemctl edit" to *not* mess with system
files shiped by packages.  What it would do, is to create this file:

/etc/systemd/system/linstor-satellite.service.d/override.conf

And there you can, as the name says, override settings. It looks like
some versions of systemd then required the section + a reset, as in:
[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=mynewsetting

Probably I have to add that detail to the documentation, if it still
applies to the version proxmox ships.

> Systemd have special option for prevent this situation and allow to
> override package's unit files,
> basically just copy this unit from /lib to /etc before editing
>
>     cp /{lib,etc}/systemd/system/linstor-satellite.service
>     systemctl edit linstor-satellite

That is how you did it in the very old days to override the whole file.
The correct way if you want that behavior, which is "systemctl edit
--full". In our case a specific override should be good enough.

Regards, rck