[DRBD-user] Linstor-server 0.7.3/linstor-client 0.7.2 release

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Fri Nov 30 10:53:23 CET 2018

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:42:42AM +0100, Julien Escario wrote:

> >> I know it's a frequent answer on this list but I don't think so :
> >> # drbdadm --version
> >
> > Oh, I do think so :)
> >
> >> DRBD_KERNEL_VERSION_CODE=0x08040a
> > ^^ here we go
> >
> > cat /proc/drbd
>
> My apologies.
> I don't really understand why drbd8.4 module was loaded (from pve kernel
> package) instead of drbd-dkms (aka 9) module ...
>
> Just ran dpkg-reconfigure drbd-dkms and rebooted servers to check if
> correct version is loaded at boot time.
>
> Seems fine this time. I must really find time to understand underlying
> dkms module system.

It is pretty simple, it builds/depmods the .kos and puts them in an
"update" directory in the /lib/modules (every distribution like to call
this "update" dir differently, even Debian vs. Ubuntu IIRC).

Whenever you load the module, it uses the one from "updates". What could
have happened is that you already had the old one loaded. Then you need
to "rmmod drbd" to get rid of the old one, and "modprobe drbd" to load
the new one.

HTH, rck