[DRBD-user] Linstor-Proxmox plugin 3.0.2-1 on PVE 5.2-11

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Fri Nov 16 13:59:12 CET 2018

> On November 16, 2018 at 10:11 AM Roland Kammerer <roland.kammerer at linbit.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 01:18:25PM +0100, Wolfgang Bumiller wrote:
> > pve-storage >= 5.0-31 (on pvetest currently) received new methods to
> > request a path to a block device node explicitly for storages which can
> > distinguish between "URLs" (eg. rbd:pool/name) where qemu handles the
> > connection and protocol and local devices (eg. using the kernel's `krbd`
> > module). This is currently mostly to avoid the need to have separate
> > storages for KVM and lxc for eg. ceph.
> >
> > There's currently no "default" fallback to just calling path(), therefore
> > the ABI version was bumped.

After some more poking it turns out that it is actually - as initially
intended - supposed to be compatible. In fact, all the users of the API
do in fact fall back to calling path() currently, so it is likely that
the package will not hit stable in its current form, and instead another
update should allow plugins using the old version to be accepted by the
loader.
It is definitely our intention to at least write a proper summary of
the changes on our devel list when such changes are actually incompatible
before moving them to the stable repository, after all.

> May I ask how packages from your "pvetest" transition into stable? Will
> this hit us very soon, or on the next major release (PVE 6.0).

Under normal circumstances it depends a lot on the actual changes.
There's no formally defined waiting period there, as our packages are
mostly updated in a rolling-release fashion.
We do usually try to avoid breaking changes within a major release,
though.