[DRBD-user] drbdmanage & dbus: object path contains invalid character

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Wed May 30 11:36:59 CEST 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 09:29:51PM +0200, Wolfgang Walkowiak wrote:

> Dear developers of drbdmanage,
>
> we are running a Debian testing system with proxmox pve and use DRBD9 with
> LVM thin volumes for replication of storage volumes between nodes.
>
> Using drbdmanaged we notice many messages occuring in the logfiles like,
> especially at the startup of the drbdmanaged, but also when certain commands
> using drbdmanage are executed:
>
> drbdmanaged[38297]: ERROR      Signal creation failed, unhandled exception
> encountered
>
> Obviously, the creation of the dbus signal doesn't succeed due to
> the hyphens in the storage container name.
>
> Looking a bit closer at drbdmanage/server.py, I modified the
> create_signal(...) method a little in order to print a bit more
> about the 'unhandled exception' (lines 1396 ff.):
>
>             except Exception as ex:
>                 logging.error("Signal creation failed, "
>                               "unhandled exception encountered")
>                 logging.error("Exception: %s" % str(ex))
>

> Et voila, the reason appears:
>
> drbdmanaged[38297]: ERROR      Signal creation failed, unhandled exception
> encountered
> drbdmanaged[38297]: ERROR      Exception: Invalid object path
> '/objects/assignments/monetbase2/vm-1801-disk-1': contains invalid character
> '-'
>
> Looking at the dbus specifications at
> https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html
>
> we find that under Revision 0.32 of 2018-01-30:
>
> "* Deprecate hyphen/minus in bus names, with underscore as the recommended
> replacement"
>
> Most likely my Debian testing is set up with a recent enough DBUS version
> for this specification to already be implemented.  See below for the version
> specification of some relevant packages.
>
> It would be great if the corresponding developers of drbdmanage could have a
> look at this issue and propose a fix.

Hi Wolfgang,

DBUS signals were an idea we had to signal back "changes". We then never
followed that direction. So, thanks for diving into it, but the actual
answer is "just ignore it". Yes, we can add that (actually we could also
remove the logging at all as it confuses users like you), but DM is EoL
and hopefully replaced with a product called LINSTOR soon. Nowadays, I
only touch DM if I really have to for critical bug fixes.

Thanks anyways, rck