[DRBD-user] Upgrade PVE 4.4 to 5.1 DRB9

Shafeek Sumser shafeeks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:37:08 CET 2018

Roland, No not the meta package.  Since the meta package point to another
version of the kernel.

The user should install the package that corresponds to its actual kernel
version.  ie  apt-get install pve-headers-`uname -r`
After that the user installs the drbd-dkms.

After all installation done, a simple list directory should have the below:

root at srv3:~# ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates/dkms/
drbd.ko  drbd_transport_tcp.ko

If a restart of the drbd service does not work, then reboot the server.

Ok to add the this hint to the documentation, this will definitely help

A+
Shafeek

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Roland Kammerer <roland.kammerer at linbit.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 02:17:39PM +0400, Shafeek Sumser wrote:
> > In fact, what I did before was installed drbd-dkms and then I installed
> the
> > kernel headers.
> > So to rectify, I just did a removal of drbd-dkms and re-install it.  So
> the
> > proper way is to install the kernel-headers first then the drbd-dms
> > package.
> >
> > A search in the proxmox kernel packages, I found that there is the meta
> > package pve-headers but it uses the kernel pve-headers-4.10.5-1-pve.
> >
> > My actual kernel is on 4.13.13-6-pve.  So the meta package did not
> work.  I
> > need to install the proper kernel version apt-get install
> > pve-headers-`uname -r`
> >
> > Whenever there is a new kernel provided by pve, I think they provide
> their
> > respective kernel headers.
> >
> > I will watch this and whenever there is a kernel updates it should be
> > working from my point of view since it will also update its respective
> > kernel headers.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. Then the typical user has to install that
> meta package and then the rest should just work... I add that hint to
> the users guide.
>
> Regards, rck

Shafeek SUMSER