[DRBD-user] Cannot synchronize stacked device to backup server with DRBD9

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Jun 18 17:10:56 CEST 2018

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 01:03:53PM +0200, Artur Kaszuba wrote:
> I know about 3 node solution and i have used it for some time (from ~9.0.8),
> but i had problems with stability and decided to change configuration to
> stacked configuration, with hope it will work more stable. As a last
> solution i will downgrade to drbd8 where never had any problems with
> stability, but i would like to stay with 9 and after some time switch again
> to 3 node config.
>
> By stability i mean such situation:
> - last version of drbd9 (9.0.14)
> - kernel 4.13.0-43-generic on Ubuntu 16.04
> - high disk usage/IO on drbd devices
> - 3 node configuration
> - random system crash on "drbdam disconnect/connect" command
> When i disable one node everything works without problems and
> disconnect/connect works perfectly. Before 9.0.14 i dont had such crashes,
> but had other which are fixed now.

And you cannot be bothered to report "such crashes"
in a way that makes it possible to understand and fix those?

"random system crash" is not good enough :-/

> Unfortunately i cannot wait for next fix,
> i need stable environment.

"I want it all, and I want it now" :-)

For the benefit of those that can afford to wait for the next fix,
maybe you should still report the crashes in a way that we can work with.

> I prefer to use stacking configuration, even when it is deprecated in
> DRBD9.  I decided to write this post because stacked configuration is
> still described in documentation and should work? Unfortunately for
> now it is not possible to create such configuration or i missed
> something :/

I know there are DRBD 9 users using "stacked" configurations out there.

Maybe you missed to upgrade your drbd-utils?
Current drbd-utils version would be 9.4.0

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT | Keeping the Digital World Running

DRBD® and LINBIT® are registered trademarks of LINBIT
__
please don't Cc me, but send to list -- I'm subscribed