[DRBD-user] Pacemaker unable to start DRBD

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Jul 26 20:38:26 CEST 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 12:02:38PM +0300, Roman Makhov wrote:
> Hi Jaco,
>
> Maybe it is because crm is core component of Pacemaker (
> https://wiki.clusterlabs.org/wiki/File:Stack.png)?
> "crmd Short for Cluster Resource Management Daemon. Largely a message
> broker for the PEngine and LRM, it also elects a leader to co-ordinate the
> activities (including starting/stopping resources) of the cluster."

:-)

crm here is the "crm shell",
which is why the mentioned package name is crmsh.
It is the "original" and well established CLI for configuring pacemaker
(without resorting to xml snippets directly).

crmd there is the cluster resource manager daemon, aka pacemaker itself.

(be careful when assuming you understand more than the other guy)

> >> The following command doesn't work:
> >> pcs resource create my_iscsidata ocf:linbit:drbd
> >> * ​​ ​​ drbd_resource=iscsidata* op monitor interval=10s
> >> pcs resource master MyISCSIClone my_iscsidata master-max=1
> >> master-node-max=1 clone-max=2 clone-node-max=1 notify=true

BTW, pcs is also a cli for configuring pacemaker, but came later.
I feel that crm is much more convenient for interactive use,
but that is probably some "vim vs emacs" kind of discussion.

You really want the "pcs resource create x ..."
and the "pcs resource master y x ..."
to go through without the "pcs resource" committing the "primitive"
to the configuration alone, or pacemaker will attempt to start that
resource agent as a normal, primitive, resource,
and then the resource agent will complain like below:

> >> I receive the following on pcs status:
> >> * my_iscsidata_monitor_0 on node2.san.localhost 'not configured' (6):
> >> call=9, status=complete, exitreason='meta parameter misconfigured, expected
> >> clone-max -le 2, but found unset.',

That's why the example you should have been following most likely
prepares the configuration in what we call a "shadow cib" first
(cib: cluster information base)
and then commits (or "pushes" in pcs speak) that shadow cib
with both primitive and master definitions, possible constraints
and other dependencies to the "live" cib.

as in
pcs cluster cib tmp_cfg
pcs -f tmp_cfg resource create ...
pcs -f tmp_cfg resource master ...
pcs cluster push cib tmp_cfg

if you need to get things done,
don't take unknown short cuts, because, as they say,
the unknown short cut is the longest route to the destination.

though you may learn a lot along the way,
so if you are in the position where the journey is the reward,
absolutely go for it ;-)

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT | Keeping the Digital World Running

DRBD® and LINBIT® are registered trademarks of LINBIT
__
please don't Cc me, but send to list -- I'm subscribed