[DRBD-user] linstor-proxmox-2.8

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Thu Jul 26 15:28:27 CEST 2018

Dear Proxmox VE users,

we released the first version of the linstor-proxmox plugin. This
integrates LINSTOR (the successor of DRBDManage) into Proxmox.

It contains all the features the drbdmanage-proxmox plugin had (i.e.,
creating/deleting volumes with a configurable redundancy, VM
live-migration, resizing, snapshots (limited as by the design
differences between DRBD and Proxmox).

As it continues the drbdmanage-proxmox plugin and keeps its history in
the git repo, the release "had to be" somewhere in the 2.x range. As it
felt pretty good and stable during development, I chose 2.8 for this
reasons:

- pretty close to 3.0
- there will be bugs, so some space between 2.8. and 3.0
- there is one feature missing

The missing feature is proper size reporting. Reporting meaningful
values for thinly allocated storage is a TODO in LINSTOR itself, so
currently the plugin reports 8 out of 10TB as free storage. Always.
Besides that it should be complete.

Please see the updated UG:
https://docs.linbit.com/docs/users-guide-9.0/#ch-proxmox-linstor

As described there, you find the new software components in the free
Proxmox debian repository provided by LINBIT.

Tarballs can be found here:
https://www.linbit.com/en/drbd-community/drbd-download/

The brave find the source code here (be careful, it is Perl, your eyes
may start bleeding ;-) ):
https://github.com/LINBIT/linstor-proxmox

There is also a blog post supporting the information provided in the UG:
https://www.linbit.com/en/how-linstor-proxmox-ve-volumes/

Please report bugs on the drbd-user ML.

Regards, rck