[DRBD-user] DRBD 9 or DRBD 8.4 for Dual Primary

Daniel Ragle daniel at Biblestuph.com
Thu Aug 23 22:15:10 CEST 2018

Greetings,

I'm setting up my first DBRD pair for testing and curious as to which
version I should use.

I definitely need a dual primary system, as I need the load balancing
between the two nodes. I may need to move to a multiple-node (3+)
infrastructure in the future.

If possible, I would rather start right out with DBRD 9, since I read in
the docs that multiple primaries will be supported in the future on DRBD
9.1 and I'd rather simplify the upgrade path at that point. But I also
read in the docs that dual primaries aren't officially supported in 9.0,
and I read a post earlier in this mailing list where someone said that
two-node dual primary systems were ok on v9.0.

So, what say you? Should I just start right out with 8.4 and deal with
the upgrade when it happens? Or is it safe enough to start out with 9.0
with the caveat that I'll only be using a two-node system at least in
the near future?

Thanks,

Dan