[DRBD-user] Hostname instead of IP address

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Wed Aug 22 09:54:57 CEST 2018

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 10:22:04AM +0200, Vincent Ducot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm testing DRBD and I'm wondering how is it possible to describe a
> node's resource with a hostname, instead of an IP address.
>
> For example something like :
>
> on node1 {
>         device /dev/drbd0;
>         disk /dev/sdb;
>         host node1;
>         port 7788;
>         meta-disk internal;
> }
>
> My need is to use DRBD for an application running in a Docker Swarm, so
> I won't know the IP addresses of the containers.
>
> Am I misunderstanding something ? Is there another way around ?

Hm, you are sure you want DRBD (which after all is a kernel module) *in*
the container? I don't think so. Maybe you want to hand in the hosts
/dev/drbdX, or more likely you want to create DRBD backed storage and
bind-mount ("-v") it to containers to provide persistent storage.

Without further details I'd say your approach is wrong.

A bit more offtopic:

For k8s we also have:
https://github.com/LINBIT/linstor-flexvolume
https://github.com/LINBIT/linstor-external-provisioner

We also had a DRBDManage plugin that created replicated docker volumes,
but IMO this is a dead end, and I guess we do not port that to LINSTOR
(as long as there is no customer wishing very hard $ ;-) ).

k8s won the container game, like it or not.

Regards, rck