[DRBD-user] Linstor | changing cluster's interface ip addresses

Robert Altnoeder robert.altnoeder at linbit.com
Mon Aug 20 18:27:29 CEST 2018

On 08/20/2018 05:19 PM, Yannis Milios wrote:
> Quick question. I noticed the following command in Linstor:
>
> 'linstor node interface modify'
>
> By using this command someone can modify the network interface/ip
> address that Linstor is listening on.
>
> Let's assume that we have already created a 3 node DRBD/Linstor
> cluster in the ip range 10.10.10.0/24 <http://10.10.10.0/24>, and
> later on we decide to move to different (faster) network interfaces
> within the ip range of 10.10.20.0/24 <http://10.10.20.0/24>.
>
> Will such scenario be possible with Linstor, *without* recreating the
> whole cluster ?

Yes.

It is not well-tested yet, but that is the intention behind it. The
details are a bit more complex (e.g., the controller can select the
network interface that it uses for communication with the satellite, and
that can be a different one than those used for connecting DRBD
resources, etc...).

I have used this command in the past to change resource configurations
from Ethernet to Infiniband, from IPv4 to IPv6, etc., so that's all
supposed to work.

> Will the above command also update drbd resource configuration files
> to the new ip addresses *without* the need to re-create them ?

Yes

br,
Robert