[DRBD-user] Receiving a message "disk size of peer is too small"

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Wed Sep 13 09:19:40 CEST 2017

Hello,

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 14:26:58 -0600 José Andrés Matamoros Guevara wrote:

> Wow! I did it without partitioning the disk and it’s working. Thanks a lot for your help.

Been doing that for ages.
Of course having a partition that is a good bit smaller than then actual
disk size would be a good starting point/best practice as well.

> Didn’t know you can do it this way. There are something you can learn every moment…
>

> OK, Yannis: thanks a lot again. It’s sync’ing now and it’s going to take 13 hours. I was thinking on bringing it up as StandAlone and copy everything from one disk to another and then resync from the small one to the bigger one, but it was going to take a few days… Much better this solution.
>

> We can close the case now, if no one has another comment.

What I suspect is that you created the original partition a long time ago,
when fdisk and friends were reserving less space for bootloaders and other
things.
So a default partition these days would be smaller.

For example an old system here, created more than 7 years ago:
---
Disk /dev/sda: 69.3 GiB, 74355769344 bytes, 145226112 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000ae7e9

Device     Boot     Start       End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sda1  *           63  15631244 15631182  7.5G fd Linux raid autodetect
---

Versus one created recently (a year ago):
---
Disk /dev/sda: 186.3 GiB, 200049647616 bytes, 390721968 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xca6f7668

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sda1  *         2048 292968447 292966400 139.7G fd Linux raid autodetect
---

Christian

chibi at gol.com   	Rakuten Communications