[DRBD-user] DRBD over ZFS - or the other way around?

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Wed Sep 6 13:23:21 CEST 2017

On 19/08/2017 10:24, Yannis Milios wrote:
> Option (b) seems more suitable for a 2 node drbd8 cluster in a
> primary/secondary setup. Haven't tried it so I cannot tell if there are
> any clurpits. My only concern in such setup would be if drbd corrupts
> silently the data on the lower level and zfs is not aware of that.Also,
> if you are *not* going to use live migration, and you can affort loosing
> some seconds of data on the secondary node in favor of better
> performance in the primary node, then you could consider using protocol
> A instead of C for the replication link.

Hi all,
I "revive" this old thread to let you know I settled to use DRBD 8.4 on
top of ZVOLs.

I have a question for anyone using DRBD on top of a snapshot-capable
backend (eg: ZFS, LVM, etc)...

When snapshotting a DRBD block device, trying to mount it (the snapshot,
not the original volume!) results in the following error message:

[root at master7 tank]# mount /dev/zvol/tank/vol1\@snap1 /mnt/
mount: unknown filesystem type 'drbd'

To successfully mount the snapshot volume, I need to specify the volume
filesystem, for example (the other options are xfs-specific):

[root at master7 tank]# mount -t xfs /dev/zvol/tank/vol1\@snap1 /mnt/ -o
ro,norecovery,nouuid

Is that the right approach? Or I am missing something?
Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico