[DRBD-user] Some info

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 21:52:08 CEST 2017

> You can also do that with raid + lvm + drbd... you just need to create a new
> drbd as you add a new LV, and also resize the drbd after you resize the LV.

I prefere to keep drbd as minimum. I'm much more familiar with LVM.
If not an issue, i prefere to keep the number of drbd resources as bare minimum.

> If both drives fail on one node, then raid will pass the disk errors up to
> DRBD, which will mark the local storage as down, and yes, it will read all
> needed data from remote node (writes are always sent to the remote node).
> You would probably want to migrate the remote node to primary as quickly as
> possible, and then work on fixing the storage.

Why should I migrate the remote node to primary? Any advantage?

> Yes, it is not some bizarre configuration that has never been seen before.
> You also haven't mentioned the size of your proposed raid, nor what size you
> are planning on growing it to?

Currently, I'm planning to start with 2TB disks. I don't think to go
over 10-12TB

> Yes, you will always want multiple network paths between the two nodes, and
> also fencing. bonding can be used to improve performance, but you should
> *also* have an additional network or serial or other connection between the
> two nodes which is used for fencing.

Ok.

Any "bare-metal" distribution with DRBD or detailed guide on how to
implement HA?
Something like FreeNAS, or similiar.