[DRBD-user] drbd8 vs drbd9 performance over 10Gbit link

Dr. Volker Jaenisch volker.jaenisch at inqbus.de
Fri Feb 10 14:12:47 CET 2017

Hi!

Am 10.02.2017 um 12:47 schrieb Robert Altnoeder:

> The first question would be what the configuration for each of those
> resources is (global_common.conf, resource configuration file).
Have not send them because they are plain default:

Pair A:

resource r0 {
  on mail1 {
    device    /dev/drbd1;
    disk      /dev/sda1;
    address   172.27.250.8:7789;
    meta-disk internal;
  }
  on mail2 {
    device    /dev/drbd1;
    disk      /dev/sda1;
    address   172.27.250.9:7789;
    meta-disk internal;
  }
}
global {
        usage-count no;
        # minor-count dialog-refresh disable-ip-verification
}

common {
        handlers {
        }

        startup {
        }

        options {
        }

        disk {
        }

        net {
             protocol C;
        }
}

No LVM below the DRBD, but above.

Pair B:

root at proxmox-1:~# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Path                /dev/drbdpool/.drbdctrl_0
  LV Name                .drbdctrl_0
  VG Name                drbdpool
  LV UUID                Qq7v8Y-Mu4b-S2ZN-fPma-3oLo-12z1-M5t6A5
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time proxmox-1, 2017-02-08 22:07:21 +0100
  LV Status              available
  # open                 2
  LV Size                4.00 MiB
  Current LE             1
  Segments               1
  Allocation
inherit

  Read ahead sectors
auto

  - currently set to
256

  Block device
251:5

  --- Logical volume
---

  LV Path
/dev/drbdpool/.drbdctrl_1

  LV Name
.drbdctrl_1

  VG Name
drbdpool

  LV UUID
31B7yV-iqfq-bK1G-KmHj-FoT4-2Ui4-z59NAs

  LV Write Access
read/write

  LV Creation host, time proxmox-1, 2017-02-08 22:07:21
+0100

  LV Status
available

  # open
2

  LV Size                4.00
MiB

  Current LE
1

  Segments
1

  Allocation
inherit

  Read ahead sectors
auto

  - currently set to
256

  Block device
251:6

  --- Logical volume
---

  LV Path
/dev/drbdpool/vm-100-disk-1_00

  LV Name
vm-100-disk-1_00

  VG Name
drbdpool

  LV UUID
mPiP9w-db8R-KHfq-vb06-7Msx-P5B0-BSer22

  LV Write Access
read/write

  LV Creation host, time proxmox-1, 2017-02-09 03:13:46
+0100

  LV Status              available
  # open                 2
  LV Size                32.03 GiB
  Current LE             8200
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           251:7

root at proxmox-1:~# pvdisplay
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdb1
  VG Name               drbdpool
  PV Size               824.19 GiB / not usable 4.00 MiB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              210991
  Free PE               202789
  Allocated PE          8202
  PV UUID               7cJFqj-cV2h-z6AT-4DJk-CTy9-TGuG-vnAF4L

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sda3
  VG Name               pve
  PV Size               37.75 GiB / not usable 2.00 MiB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              9663
  Free PE               1175
  Allocated PE          8488
  PV UUID               QNtXfY-fk0o-TDb4-mugP-qnov-skaB-9mCWCY

resource .drbdctrl {
    net {
        cram-hmac-alg       sha256;
        shared-secret       "xxxxx";
        allow-two-primaries no;
    }
    volume 0 {
        device      minor 0;
        disk        /dev/drbdpool/.drbdctrl_0;
        meta-disk   internal;
    }
    volume 1 {
        device      minor 1;
        disk        /dev/drbdpool/.drbdctrl_1;
        meta-disk   internal;
    }
    on proxmox-2 {
        node-id     1;
        address     ipv4 10.0.0.2:6999;
    }
    on proxmox-1 {
        node-id     0;
        address     ipv4 10.0.0.1:6999;
    }
    connection-mesh {
        hosts proxmox-2 proxmox-1;
        net {
            protocol C;
        }
    }
}

resource vm-100-disk-1 {
template-file "/var/lib/drbd.d/drbdmanage_global_common.conf";

   net {
       allow-two-primaries yes;
       shared-secret "xxxxxxx";
       cram-hmac-alg sha1;
   }
    on proxmox-2 {
        node-id 0;
        address ipv4 10.0.0.2:7000;
        volume 0 {
            device minor 101;
            disk /dev/null;
            disk {
                size 33554432k;
            }
            meta-disk internal;
        }
    }
    on proxmox-1 {
        node-id 1;
        address ipv4 10.0.0.1:7000;
        volume 0 {
            device minor 101;
            disk /dev/drbdpool/vm-100-disk-1_00;
            disk {
                size 33554432k;
            }
            meta-disk internal;
        }
    }
    connection-mesh {
        hosts proxmox-2 proxmox-1;
    }
}

common {
        handlers {
        }

        startup {
        }

        options {
        }

        disk {
        }

        net {
             protocol C;
        }
}

The hardware is checked:
* sysbench shows 1700 IO-Ops per second (27Mb/sec) at random writes on
both Pair B servers on a ext2 mounted LVM test device in drbdpool. The
hardware of Pair B is several years old and only for testing purposes,
but still powerfull.

root at proxmox-1:/mnt/test# sysbench --test=fileio --file-total-size=10G
--file-test-mode=rndwr --init-rng=on --max-time=300 --max-requests=0 run
sysbench 0.4.12:  multi-threaded system evaluation benchmark

Running the test with following options:
Number of threads: 1
Initializing random number generator from timer.

Extra file open flags: 0
128 files, 80Mb each
10Gb total file size
Block size 16Kb
Number of random requests for random IO: 0
Read/Write ratio for combined random IO test: 1.50
Periodic FSYNC enabled, calling fsync() each 100 requests.
Calling fsync() at the end of test, Enabled.
Using synchronous I/O mode
Doing random write test
Threads started!
Time limit exceeded, exiting...
Done.

Operations performed:  0 Read, 513000 Write, 656560 Other = 1169560 Total
Read 0b  Written 7.8278Gb  Total transferred 7.8278Gb *(26.717Mb/sec)*
 *1709.91 Requests/sec executed*

Test execution summary:
    total time:                          300.0155s
    total number of events:              513000
    total time taken by event execution: 5.9942
    per-request statistics:
         min:                                  0.01ms
         avg:                                  0.01ms
         max:                                  0.45ms
         approx.  95 percentile:               0.01ms

Threads fairness:
    events (avg/stddev):           513000.0000/0.00
    execution time (avg/stddev):   5.9942/0.00

* iperf shows a 960 GBit TCP transfer rate (The line ist 10GBit, but the
CISCO switchport ist 1Gbit). Sending UDP packages the first package
losses occur around 800Mbit utilisation of the line. The latency on this
line is 0.3-0.4 msec. So I think that the line is not the problem. Also
Pair A using the same CISCO switch and 10G-Backbone has a good rate.

Next test I will do is to reimplement drbd8 in the proxmox-kernel and do
the comparison drbd8/9 on the same hardware.

Cheers

Volker

   inqbus Scientific Computing    Dr.  Volker Jaenisch
   Richard-Strauss-Straße 1       +49(08861) 690 474 0
   86956 Schongau-West            http://www.inqbus.de