[DRBD-user] missing of storage plugin document

Chengwei Yang yangchengwei at qiyi.com
Thu Aug 31 17:47:17 CEST 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 09:58:51AM +0200, Roland Kammerer wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 11:01:05AM +0800, 杨成伟 wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > The document of drbd storage plugin I found is a small section here
> > https://docs.linbit.com/doc/users-guide-90/s-drbdmanage-storage-plugins/
> >
> > It's quite simple seems helps a little.
> >
> > Is there any more document about sotrage plugins? say:
> >
> > Is it possible to change storage plugin?
>
> What is unclear here?: "Currently it is not supported to switch storage
> plugins on the fly. The workflow is: Add a new node, modify the
> configuration for that node, make use of the node. Changing other
> settings (like the log-level) on the fly is perfectly fine."
>
> > If yes, how, if no, why?
>
> Because it would require loading multiple storage plugins at a time.
> Something no customer was interested so far.
>
> > What's the difference among these sotrage plugins?
>
> Hm, what information would you like to see there? The LVM plugin creates

For example, the document says snapshots works on ThinLV but snapshots
related commands doesn't fail on lvm storage plugin.

And after create-snapshot on lvm storage plugin node, i did got an
FAILED(1) like below.

[root at mesos-test-dev001-whdx ~]# drbdmanage list-assignments  -p
| Node                                                                         | Resource | Vol ID |  | State     |
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
| mesos-test-dev001-whdx.qiyi.virtual                                          | r0       | *      |  | FAILED(1) |
| mesos-test-dev002-whdx.qiyi.virtual                                          | r0       | *      |  | ok        |
| mesos-training-dev001-cqdx.qiyi.virtual                                      | r0       | *      |  | ok        |

> DRBD backing devices on LVM. The thin variant does that thinly
> provisioned. The ZFS plugin uses ZFS ;-).
>
> > Following the drbd document, I got many questions without answers like
> > these.
>
> Feel free to ask, and if in the mood help to improve the documentation:
> https://git.linbit.com/linbit-documentation.git
>
> Regards, rck

Thanks, Chengwei