[DRBD-user] DRBD Dual Primary + GFS2 for redundant KVM hosts

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Fri Aug 25 21:59:04 CEST 2017

Il 25-08-2017 21:46 Remolina, Diego J ha scritto:
> Danti,
>
> Have you considered using something other than drbd for VM disk
> storage? Glusterfs for example is really good for that. You may want
> to give it a try. You should look at enabling sharding from the get-go
> to speed up heals when a node goes down.
>
> I would not use Glusterfs for a file server as it's performance is
> abysmal dealing with lots of small files. I would definitively use
> DRBD for a file server as it is great in handling lots of small files
> whereas Glusterfs is horrible. But for VMs, I think gluster offers
> many niceties, easy to setup, good performance, no need to deal with
> GFS2, etc.
>
> HTH,
>
> Diego

Hi Diego,
sure, I have an on-going discussion with the gluster mailing list about
how to do that.

However, having been served so well by DRBD in the last 4 years, I am
somewhat reluctant to abandon it for another, probably not so
battle-tested, technology.

In particular, it seems that to be useful (ie: stable enought) for VM
disk storage, Gluster need a 3-way cluster and sharding enabled (which I
would like to avoid). In contrast, DRBD + GFS2 (or DRBD + LVM) can be
used in a 2-way cluster without problem.

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico