[DRBD-user] DRBD9, ZFS storage plugin and PVE snapshot/clones integration

Roberto Resoli roberto at resolutions.it
Wed Aug 23 11:26:23 CEST 2017

Il 23/08/2017 10:26, Roland Kammerer ha scritto:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 09:14:39AM +0200, Roberto Resoli wrote:
>> Il 06/03/2017 11:23, Yannis Milios ha scritto:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> First, excuse me if this question is not related to DRBD devs, but I
>>> wasn't sure where else I should ask for.
>>> I'm testing DRBD9 ZFS storage plugin on a 3 node PVE cluster.
>>> So far everything work flawlessly and I believe that DRBD9 with ZFS make
>>> a great pair!
>>
>> This is really interesting, have you some reference link at hand?
>
> The user-guide contains all the information on how to switch the storage
> plugin:
> http://docs.linbit.com/docs/users-guide-9.0/#s-drbdmanage-storage-plugins

Yes, but I meant some more ZFS specific; I have found this one year old
ml post:

https://lists.gt.net/drbd/users/28145

but I guess Yannis can provide some more info on his setup

> But this is something you have to decide before you deploy your first
> resource. Aaand with 0.99.10 the zfs plugin will change to avoid
> unnecessary snapshots. Likely in an incompatible way. I usually really
> try to avoid that, but I guess that is what it will be, let's see. It
> would only affect people using zfs and snapshots. Like
> Openstack/Opennebula. AFAIR the PM plugin even does not have snapshot
> support.

Yes, this is right what Yannis is asking below

>>> However I was wondering if there are any plans to integrate the
>>> drbdmanage-snapshot and drbdmanage-restore commands on PVE gui.
>>>  I'm asking because after having a dozen or more VMs it becomes
>>> overwhelming to manage snapshots and clones via drbdmange cli interface.
>>> I asked on PVE forum first, where they replied that I should ask here
>>> since that's a part of DRBD9 storage plugin development.

>> Some hint from DRBD people about the future of Proxmox integration would
>> be really appreciated.
>
> We are a small team and we have to prioritize projects, but it looks
> like there will be some development work in that direction in the near
> future.

This is a great new; thanks for sharing.

Looking for upgrades to PVE DRBD plugin and a PVE v5 repo!

Regards,
rob