[DRBD-user] DRBD over ZFS - or the other way around?

Yannis Milios yannis.milios at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 17:09:16 CEST 2017

Hello,

Personally I'm using option (a) on a 3 node proxmox cluster and drbd9.
Replica count per VM is 2 and all 3 nodes act as both drbd control volumes
and satellite nodes.I can live migrate VM between all nodes and snapshot
them by using drbdmanage utility (which is using zfs snapshot+clones).

Option (b) seems more suitable for a 2 node drbd8 cluster in a
primary/secondary setup. Haven't tried it so I cannot tell if there are any
clurpits. My only concern in such setup would be if drbd corrupts silently
the data on the lower level and zfs is not aware of that.Also, if you are
*not* going to use live migration, and you can afford loosing some seconds
of data on the secondary node in favor of better performance on the primary
node, then you could consider using protocol A instead of C for the
replication link.

Yannis