[DRBD-user] drbd 8.4.10-1 doesn't compile on RHEL 7.4 beta

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Fri Aug 4 08:58:59 CEST 2017

On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 03:41:32PM +0200, Lafaille Christophe wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    I've downloaded RHEL7.4 Beta in order to prepare my future platform for
>    drbd+corosync+pacemaker.
>
>    Today, I can't compile drbd 8.4.10-1 on my RHEL 7.4 Beta platform, an
>    error is returned...
>
>    Now, I don't know if it's a problem on DRBD side or RedHat side... could
>    you help me ?

That is our "fault" by definition. For in kernel DRBD it is easy, it
uses the data structures the kernel provides at that time and moves
along.

We want the out-of-tree code to be as close as to what current upstream
Linux looks like, which helps us merging back oot code to upstream.

The oot code supports a lot of kernel versions (think auf all the
different kernel versions all the distributions have) and does that with
a compat layer to detect what features your kernel has and for which it
has to provide compat code.

This is what failed and usually we are quick in updating the compat
code. It is especially fun when old kernels backport things from new
kernels.

So yes, that will be fixed, currently I can't give you an exact date
when this will happen in this case. "Soon".

Regards, rck