[DRBD-user] Fencing DRBD on Poweroff of Primary

Igor Cicimov igorc at encompasscorporation.com
Mon Apr 10 04:47:01 CEST 2017

On 10 Apr 2017 7:42 am, "Marco Certelli" <marco_certelli at yahoo.it> wrote:

Hello. Thanks for the answer.
Maybe I was not clear: I do not want the authomatic poweroff of the server.

Why do you have problem with this? The server is already powering off right?

My problem is that if I manually poweroff the primary node (i.e. the server
with DRBD primary mounted on), the secondary does not become primary
(promote) anymore!

>From the docs:
Thus, if the DRBD replication link becomes disconnected, the
crm-fence-peer.sh script contacts the cluster manager, determines the
Pacemaker Master/Slave resource associated with this DRBD resource, and
ensures that the Master/Slave resource no longer gets promoted on any node
other than the currently active one. Conversely, when the connection is
re-established and DRBD completes its synchronization process, then that
constraint is removed and the cluster manager is free to promote the
resource on any node again.

It seems that the primary, just before powering off, fences the other node
and precludes it to become primary.

No, see above it is working as designed.

This not the expected logic in a two nodes cluster...
Is there a way?

Il Domenica 9 Aprile 2017 22:48, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> ha scritto:

On 09/04/17 03:05 PM, Marco Certelli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> very simple question for DRBD experts. I'm configuring Pacemaker (2
> nodes Active/Standby)+DRBD shared disk with the following config:

> disk {
>        fencing resource-only;

This should be 'resource-and-stonith;'

>    }
>    handlers {
>        fence-peer "/usr/lib/drbd/crm-fence-peer.sh";
>        after-resync-target "/usr/lib/drbd/crm-unfence-peer.sh";
>    }
>
> It happen that if I poweroff the Active server (the one with DRBD
> Primary mounted on), the backup cannot promote and mount the DRBD
> anymore. This is not what I would like to happen and this problem does
> not occur if I remove the above fencing configuration (fencing,
> fence-peer and after-resync-target commands).
>
> My only objective is to prevent promoting of a disk that is under
> resynch. Is there a solution? I was thinking to the following
configuration:

> disk {
>        fencing resource-only;
>    }
>    handlers {
>        before-resync-target "/usr/lib/drbd/crm-fence-peer.sh";
>        after-resync-target "/usr/lib/drbd/crm-unfence-peer.sh";
>    }
>
> Do you think it may work, without other negative effects?
>
> Thanks, Marco.

Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of
Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent
have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops." - Stephen Jay Gould