[DRBD-user] Drbd/pacemaker active/passive san failover

Igor Cicimov igorc at encompasscorporation.com
Tue Sep 20 10:33:44 CEST 2016

On 20 Sep 2016 5:00 pm, "Marco Marino" <marino.mrc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Furthermore there are logs from the secondary node:
>
> http://pastebin.com/A2ySXDCB
>

> Please compare time. It seems that also on the secondary node drbd goes
to diskless mode. Why?

In the secondary log you can see I/O errors too:

Sep  7 19:55:19 iscsi2 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector
685931856
Sep  7 19:55:19 iscsi2 kernel: block drbd1: write: error=-5 s=685931856s
Sep  7 19:55:19 iscsi2 kernel: block drbd1: disk( UpToDate -> Failed )
Sep  7 19:55:19 iscsi2 kernel: block drbd1: Local IO failed in
drbd_endio_write_sec_final. Detaching...

and since your policy is:

disk {
                on-io-error     detach;
        }

thats what drbd did. No disk => no master.

>> Hi, logs can be found here: http://pastebin.com/BGR33jN6
>>
>> @digimer:
>> Using local-io-error should power off the node and switch the cluster on
the remaing node.... is this a good idea?

>> Regards,
>> Marco

>>> On 19/09/2016 19:06, Marco Marino wrote:

>:

pacemaker for a san. I'm using 2 nodes with one raid controller (megaraid)
on each one. Each node has an ssd disk that works as cache for read (and
write?) realizing the CacheCade proprietary tecnology.

write-back mode then suddenly removing the device from under the controller
would have caused serious problems I guess since the controller expects to
write to the ssd cache firts and then flush to the hdd's. Maybe this
explains the read only mode?

behavior in a clustered (active/passive) enviroment??? As I told in the
other post, I think the best solution is to poweroff the node using
local-io-error and switch all resources on the other node.... But please
give me some suggestions....

resource (that use /dev/sdb as backend) (using pacemaker with a
master/slave resource) -> VG (managed with pacemaker) -> Iscsi target (with
pacemaker) -> Iscsi LUNS (one for each logical volume in the VG, managed
with pacemaker)

node of the cluster and this caused a lot of problems: drbd resource and
all logical volumes went in readonly mode with a lot of I/O errors but the
cluster did not switched to the other node. All filesystem on initiators
went to readonly mode. There are 2 problems involved here (I think): 1) Why
removing the ssd disk cause a readonly mode with I/O errors? This means
that the ssd is a single point of failure for a single node san with
megaraid controllers and CacheCade tecnology..... and 2) Why drbd not
worked as espected?

>>> I think you will need to examine the logs to find out what happened. It
would appear (just making a wild guess) that either the cache is happening
between DRBD and iSCSI instead of between DRBD and RAID. If it happened
under DRBD then DRBD should see the read/write error, and should
automatically fail the local storage. It wouldn't necessarily failover to
the secondary, but it would do all read/write from the secondary node. The
fact this didn't happen makes it look like the failure happened above DRBD.