[DRBD-user] Performance issues with drbd and nfs

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 10:09:01 CEST 2016

On 7 Jun 2016 3:18 pm, "Stephano-Shachter, Dylan" <dstathis at seas.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am building an HA NFS server using drbd and pacemaker. Everything is
working well except I am getting lower write speeds than I would expect. I
have been doing all of my benchmarking with bonnie++. I always get read
speeds of about 112 MB/s which is just about saturating the network. When I
perform a write, however, I get about 89 MB/s which is significantly slower.

> The weird thing is that if I run the test locally, on the server (not
using nfs), I get 112 MB/s read. Also, if I run the tests over nfs but with
the secondary downed via "drbdadm down name", then I also get 112 MB/s.

This is confusing, you are just saying that the reads are same in case of
drbd and nfs and without. Or you meant writes here? What does locally mean?
Different partition without drbd? Or drbd without nfs? Nothing in drbd is
local it is block level replicated storage.

I can't understand what is causing the bottleneck if it is not drbd
replication or nfs.

How exactly are you testing and what is the physical disk, meaning raid or
not? Is this a virtual or bare metal server?
The reads are faster due to caching so did you account for that in your
read test, ie reading a file at least twice the ram size?

Not exactly an answer just trying to get some more info about your setup.

> If anyone could help me to figure out what is slowing down the write
performance if would be very helpful. My configs are

> --------------------drbd-config-----------------------------
>

> # /etc/drbd.conf
> global {
>     usage-count yes;
>     cmd-timeout-medium 600;
>     cmd-timeout-long 0;
> }
>
> common {
>     net {
>         protocol           C;
>         after-sb-0pri    discard-zero-changes;
>         after-sb-1pri    discard-secondary;
>         after-sb-2pri    disconnect;
>         max-buffers      8000;
>         max-epoch-size   8000;
>     }
>     disk {
>         resync-rate      1024M;
>     }
>     handlers {
>         pri-on-incon-degr "/usr/lib/drbd/notify-pri-on-incon-degr.sh;
/usr/lib/drbd/notify-emergency-reboot.sh; echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger ;
reboot -f";
>         pri-lost-after-sb "/usr/lib/drbd/notify-pri-lost-after-sb.sh;
/usr/lib/drbd/notify-emergency-reboot.sh; echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger ;
reboot -f";
>         local-io-error   "/usr/lib/drbd/notify-io-error.sh;
/usr/lib/drbd/notify-emergency-shutdown.sh; echo o > /proc/sysrq-trigger ;
halt -f";