[DRBD-user] Problems with DRBDv9 on Ubuntu 16.04 in Google Cloud

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Fri Jul 15 21:36:37 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 07:13:34PM -0700, Jason Dillon wrote:
> Howdy folks, I’m having some problems getting a very basic 2 node environment setup with DRBDv9 on Ubuntu 16.04 in Google’s cloud.
>
> I’m using the ubuntu-1604-xenial-v20160627 image with basically this additional customization:
>
> add-apt-repository ppa:linbit/linbit-drbd9-stack
> apt update
> apt install drbd-utils python-drbdmanage drbd-dkms
>
> That appears to function and compiles the kernel module.
>
> My vm's have a 100gb disk attached as /dev/sdb and I have been able to mostly get something working with:
>
> on elysium-test01 vm:
>
> vgcreate drbdpool /dev/sdb
> drbdmanage init 10.12.0.2
> drbdmanage add-node elysium-test02 10.12.0.3
> drbdmanage add-resource data01
> drbdmanage add-volume data01 90gb
> drbdmanage assign-resource data01 elysium-test01
> drbdmanage assign-resource data01 elysium-test02

looks good, shortcut would be:
drbdmanage new-volume data01 90GB -d2

> on elysium-test02 vm:
>
> vgcreate drbdpool /dev/sdb
> drbdmanage join -p 6999 10.12.0.3 1 elysium-test01 10.12.0.2 0 mUEU/uPLZOAFpkZGgmlT
>
> At this point checking with drbd-overview it looks like everything is
> happy and connected, though elysium-test02 is inconsistent.
>
> on elysium-test01 vm:
>
> mkfs.ext4 -F -E discard /dev/drbd100 mkdir -p /mnt/disks/data01 mount
> -o discard,defaults /dev/drbd100 /mnt/disks/data01
>
> At this point everything looks okay, and logs show that elysium-test01
> is now the primary for data01.
>
> Then the problems start, on the elysium-test02 node, after a few
> seconds the logs show "BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
> dereference at           (null)”

Which versions did you use? Today I updated the PPA and a few minutes
ago I tried to reproduce your scenario. Works for me as expected
(several rounds of "dd" on top of the ext4 fs).

So please try to reproduce with the latest releases in the PPA (kernel
module 9.0.3, utils 8.9.7, drbdmange 0.97) and report back if your
problem still exists.

Regards, rck