[DRBD-user] raid recovery and drbd

Mariusz Mazur mmazur at axeos.com
Sat Jul 9 20:34:44 CEST 2016

Raid 5 is dead because on multi-terabyte discs I'm almost guaranteed
some unrecoverable sectors, which results in data loss. (With
sufficiently large disks this is also a risk on a two disk raid1.)

Thing is, I shouldn't really care when I'm using drbd for everything.
My best case scenario would be:

1. A drive in a raid fails.
2. I put in a new drive.
3. I tell mdadm to rebuild the array, but not abort on unrecoverable
sectors, just zero them out and log them in a usable manner.
4. I tell drbd to refetch data from these here sectors as provided by mdadm.
5. Array fully back up, no data missing.

Am I correct that neither mdadm nor drbd are anywhere near supporting
this workflow?