[DRBD-user] drbdmanage : error in reporting free space with thin-lvm ?

Julien Escario escario at azylog.net
Mon Jan 25 14:57:01 CET 2016

Le 23/01/2016 09:25, Roland Kammerer a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 07:48:25PM +0100, Julien Escario wrote:
>> Seems I found a anwser : I was using drbdmanage 0.91 with a thin lv but this
>> version is using drbdmanage.storage.lvm.Lvm as default plugin.
>>
>> I'm now wondering how I can change the default plugin BEFORE initializing the nodes.
>
> The basic idea is to get rid of all node-specific configurations as much
> as possible. drbdmanage is also used in dynamic openstack clouds with
> many nodes, where node specific configurations do not scale. Updating
> configuration files (and keeping them consistent) is error prone and it
> was one of the goals of drbdmanage to avoid that for drbd resource
> configuration files. So you usually "init" one, "edit-config" and set
> the storage plugin in the global section. Done, and the values are
> stored in the control volume and consistent for the whole cluster.

From my point of view, that seems absolutely normal. You're building a highly
available network storage, not a storage plugin for an hypervisor.

> If you are in a closed universe like proxmox, patching the source is a
> legitimate hack. In general we try to "protect" (patronize if you will)
> the user from running into problems, which would happen _for_ _sure_ if
> we allow too many node specific settings in /etc/drbdmanaged.cfg.

Yup, but it only seems to simplify deployment of drbd9 with proxmox4 just to
remove the need to edit-config before adding nodes.

I just retried with package python-drbdmanage 0.91 and everything seems fine if
we precise the plugin after init and before adding nodes.
It more clear with my sense of 'best practice'.

But I still have caveats with values given by drbdmanage list-nodes with thinlv
plugin. Let's clarify this in another thread.

Julien