[DRBD-user] Regarding an old 2013 thread about Protocol D

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jan 19 13:42:52 CET 2016

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 02:09:06AM -0300, Pato Sáinz wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I've recently started a thread[1] at the Xen-devel list regarding DRBD
> and the Protocol D, necessary for Remus, the High Availability/clustering
> feature of Xen. The thread outlines in a nutshell the following problems
> relevant to DRBD:
>
> I. Remus depends on a patched version of DRBD[2]. That patch is only
> available for DRBD 8.3.9 and 8.3.11.
>
> II. This means that in order to use Remus, you must use versions
> 3.0 through 3.4 of the Linux kernel. Currently there's no distro that
> support these versions and even kernel.org sets its end of support
> for 3.4 in September of the present year.
>
> Now, researching this "Protocol D" I've found an old thread[3] in this very
> list, requesting the implementation of this feature into the tree:
>
> Lars pointed out that there may be some issues with that patch and he
> explained how he didn't think it was a priority in the near-term back then.
>
> He encouraged readers to "try and convince him" that Proto D should be
> implemented, but nobody replied.

I don't need social or political convincing that it would be nice
to have something like that available and working properly.
I agree.

I need technical convincing that it is necessary (why is protocol C not
good enough?), and that it can actually work, and *why* it would work.

Not just by accident in calm weather, where no-one can ever detect
inconsistencies between memory and storage and IO state and other
checkpoints, because it is not excercised.

But that it continues to "do the right thing" during storm and failures.

And no-one tried to do that.
Not even tried.

--
: Lars Ellenberg