[DRBD-user] Automatic recovery from "unrelated data"?

Timo Metsala timo.metsala+drbd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 16:22:16 CET 2016

hi,

we have a scenario where we would like to connect a secondary node to any
of multiple primary nodes in a sort of a best-effort way.

Meaning, we'd like to connect the secondary potentially to a different
primary than what it previously was connected to. And in this case, we'd
like to just ignore everything in secondary's disk and restart sync with
the data of the new primary.

Neither `connect --discard-my-data` or `invalidate` didn't seem to
accomplish this, DRBD gives error "unrelated data, aborting". The only
solution we've come up so far is to re-initialize the secondary with
`create-md`.

So my question is: can we do this without re-initialization? And if that is
the only way out, how could we detect the situation programmatically?
(apart from parsing kernel logs)

TIA,

--Timo