[DRBD-user] Forcing a device to be primary on a backup site

Kalman Meth METH at il.ibm.com
Mon Feb 1 15:37:02 CET 2016

I have the following scenario that I am trying to simulate.

I have a volume replicated between clusters A and B, primary on cluster A.
The volume is attached to and mounted on a VM instance VM1 on cluster A.
I take a snapshot of VM1.
I now imagine that VM1 on cluster A becomes unreachable, so I want to
bring up VM1 on cluster B, and attach to it the replicated volume.
I have to make the volume primary on cluster B.
As long as the volume is primary on cluster A, I cannot make it primary on
cluster B.

I want to force the transition of the volume on cluster B from secondary
to primary, without having to perform operations on cluster A.

What is the proper sequence of operations / commands to accomplish this?

Thank you,

- Kalman

Kalman Z. Meth, PhD.
Cloud Platforms