[DRBD-user] DRBD Manage and Proxmox storage driver repository

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Mon Dec 12 11:51:33 CET 2016

Dear DRBD/DRBD Manage Proxmox users,

Since Proxmox decided to no longer package and ship DRBD Manage, LINBIT
packages it and provides a publicly accessible repository from now
on[1].

In the following I give a short explanation about the components it
contains:

DRBD9 kernel module: AFAIK Proxmox will continue to package our kernel
module in their kernel package, but we also package it to be more
flexible on updates and can provide the latest version/fixes as soon as
possible. The module installs in the "updates" name space, so there
won't be any conflicts with the module that gets shipped by Proxmox. Our
package is called something like this: drbd-module-4.4.35-1-pve. If you
want the kernel module to come from us, you have to install the
according package. If you want the Proxmox version, you don't have to do
anything.

DRBD utils: As far as I saw from the Proxmox git repository and the
internal tests, there are no extra patches that would have to be
applied.

DRBD Manage: Unfortunately the Proxmox git repository already got
deleted, but from comparing the packaged files and our upstream
packages, there was only one change, namely making thin-LV the default
(our upstream DRBD Manage uses standard LVM as default). The package in
the our Proxmox repository contains a version with a configuration that
uses thin-LV as the default. Traditionally our package is called
python-drbdmanage and the one we provide has all the Debian magic to
replace the Proxmox version (Provides/Conflicts/Replaces).

DRBD Manage driver: This contains the Perl driver (DRBDPlugin.pm) that
was shipped by Proxmox in their pve-storage package (plus some minor
modifications). According to Proxmox's git repo, it still exists in the
blessed "PVE/Storage" name space, but I guess it will get removed
eventually. The package we ship, and we are now an external plugin, is
stored to the "PVE/Storage/Custom/" name space. We want to keep user
interaction/configuration changes as minimal as possible, but having two
plugins (one in /Storage and one in /Storage/Custom), that do the same
thing/use the same configuration name space  would collide. Therefore
our package dpkg-diverts /Storage/DRBDPlugin.pm and replaces it with a
dummy stub. For the user this means that she/he does not have to modify
the existing configuration at all. If the user removes our package, the
original file, if it existed in the first place, gets restored.

Please test and provide feedback.

The driver's source can be found here:
http://www.drbd.org/en/community/download (Connectors section)
http://git.drbd.org/drbdmanage-proxmox.git/

As I've never used Proxmox myself, I followed the Proxmox wiki[2], which
looks up to date. We will provide a Proxmox section in the DRBD
users guide ASAP.

Regards, rck

[1]
$ wget -O- https://packages.linbit.com/package-signing-pubkey.asc | apt-key add -
$ echo "deb http://packages.linbit.com/proxmox/ proxmox-43 drbd-9.0" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linbit.list
$ apt-get update && apt-get install drbdmanage-proxmox

[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD9
--
Roland Kammerer
+43 1 817 82 92 - 70
roland.kammerer at linbit.com

LINBIT | Keeping the Digital World Running
DRBD – Corosync – Pacemaker