[DRBD-user] I shall become SyncTarget, but I am primary!

Tyler Hains Tyler.Hains at mob.ingenico.com
Tue Dec 6 14:32:56 CET 2016

>>I think this document might help:
>>https://www.drbd.org/en/doc/users-guide-83/s-initial-full-sync

>>or specifically, this command:
>>drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary resource

>I think that will work only for the initial sync and not in this case that data/metadata already exists on the secondary.

>I believe the correct approach is to use the 'invalidate' option on the secondary node:

>http://www.drbd.org/en/doc/users-guide-83/re-drbdadm

>"invalidate
>Forces DRBD to consider the data on the local backing storage device as out-of-sync. Therefore DRBD will copy each and every block from its peer, >to bring the local storage device back in sync."

As Yannis surmised, overwrite-data-of-peer did nothing. When I attempted to invalidate the secondary node, it gave me this error:

0: State change failed: (-15) Need a connection to start verify or resync

I tried to use invalidate-remote on the primary, and it updated the status on the remote disk state to "Inconsistent" instead of unknown:

[root at MCM5-DB4 ~]# cat /proc/drbd
version: 8.3.16 (api:88/proto:86-97)
GIT-hash: a798fa7e274428a357657fb52f0ecf40192c1985 build by phil at Build64R6, 2014-11-24 14:51:37
 0: cs:StandAlone ro:Primary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/Inconsistent   r----s
    ns:0 nr:0 dw:35510152 dr:12229061 al:345086 bm:136845 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:f oos:733976668

I also used "outdate" on the secondary, which updated its own disk state to "Outdated":

[root at MCM5-DB5 log]# cat /proc/drbd
version: 8.3.16 (api:88/proto:86-97)
GIT-hash: a798fa7e274428a357657fb52f0ecf40192c1985 build by phil at Build64R6, 2014-11-24 14:51:37
 0: cs:WFConnection ro:Secondary/Unknown ds:Outdated/DUnknown C r----s
    ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:f oos:733976668

I attempted a connect on the primary after each of these changes, each time getting the same error in the logs,

Dec  6 08:14:15 localhost kernel: block drbd0: uuid_compare()=-2 by rule 60
Dec  6 08:14:15 localhost kernel: block drbd0: I shall become SyncTarget, but I am primary!
Dec  6 08:14:15 localhost kernel: block drbd0: conn( WFReportParams -> Disconnecting )

I'm wondering if resetting the meta-data on the secondary might allow me to overwrite-data-of-peer...

Tyler

The information contained in this email and any attachments is private and is the confidential property of ROAM Data, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient(s) or have otherwise received this email in error, please delete this email and inform the sender as soon as possible. Neither this email nor the information contained in any attachments may be disclosed, stored, used, published or copied by anyone other than the intended recipient(s). All orders for ROAM Data, Inc. products and services are accepted by ROAM Data, Inc. subject to the terms and conditions of sale set forth on the ROAM Data, Inc. website, as such terms and conditions of sale may be changed from time to time without notice.