[DRBD-user] drbdmanage v0.50

Robert Altnoeder robert.altnoeder at linbit.com
Mon Oct 5 17:44:40 CEST 2015

Dear DRBD9 & drbdmanage users & testers,

you may have noticed that we published distribution packages of the new
version 0.50 of drbdmanage about two weeks ago, and it has also been on
our public GIT for a while. The source package (as a gzipped tar
archive) followed today, so all the packages are now available for
download at http://oss.linbit.com/drbdmanage/

This version is a major update where the single control volume of
previous versions is replaced by a dual-volume control resource to
enable recovery of backup data whenever one of the two control volumes
is damaged, e.g. due to a sudden power outage while data is being
written to the volume.
For this reason, control volumes of previous drbdmanage versions cannot
be used with drbdmanage 0.50.

Since the last officially published release, v0.43, lots of changes and
new features have been implemented:

- Many commands take multiple arguments now (assign, unassign,
remove-resource, etc.)

- DBus signals: Listeners that will be notified by drbdmanage whenever
the state of a resource assignment changes can be implemented using this
interface

- Control resource quorum: Changes can only be made if a group of
drbdmanage nodes has a quorum (more than 50% of all nodes are
replicating changes); this avoids split-brain situations. There are
manual overrides for situations where nodes have been taken offline for
an extended time period

- For many installations, drbdmanage configuration files are unnecessary
now: All but some of the most basic configuration options can be set
with drbdmanage commands. Those options are stored in the control
resource, so the configuration is identical on all nodes of the
drbdmanage cluster

drbd-utils 8.9.4 is required with drbdmanage v0.50

The drbdmanage archives can be found at:
http://oss.linbit.com/drbdmanage/

...and our GIT repository is available at:
http://git.drbd.org/gitweb.cgi?p=drbdmanage.git

If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback for us,
feel free to post to the mailing list or to visit
our IRC channel at FreeNode #drbd9+drbdmanage.

Best regards,
Robert