[DRBD-user] Error with numeric hostnames

jeffrey.bailey at bt.com jeffrey.bailey at bt.com
Thu Nov 12 16:13:17 CET 2015

Philipp,

Thanks very much for your reply.

> The workaround is to enclose the hostname in quotes, as in
>
>     on "123456" {
>     }

That solved our problem, and much more simply than I feared the issue would be.

> To be honest, this is the first time I've ever heard of a full-numeric
> hostname; I guess that quite some other things might go wrong this way,
> because IPv4 addresses don't *have* *to* have the dots in them:
>
>     # getent hosts 123456
>     0.1.226.64      123456
>
> This is using the inet_pton() function (inet_aton() works the same),
> so I don't think we want to support purely numeric hostnames.

And hostnames don't *have* *to* have alphabetic characters in them, so I guess it's a bit of an impasse -  If you support fully-numeric hostnames, you're breaking support of "dotless" IP addresses, and vice-versa.  Although I'd expect that a "dotless IP address" is used even less-frequently than a "fully-numeric hostname", it's rather a nit-picky issue at that point.

In our case, we know that we're configuring with a hostname, so we can quote it consistently without concern.

Thanks again,
Jeff