[DRBD-user] Dual Primary Mode: Shared Directory blocked after node crash until reboot

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon May 11 10:24:20 CEST 2015

On 11/05/15 02:28 AM, DRBD User wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using DRBD (8.4.5) in dual primary mode (with GFS2) on Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux Server release 7.0 (Cluster, Pacemaker).
>
> Everything workes fine only if a node crashes (ipull the power plug),
> the shared directory becomes unusable: for eg. a 'ls -l' blocks until
> the node has rebooted normally.
> During this situation the drbd status for the second node is
> Unknown/Outdated.
>
> I am using the configuration as supposed on the homepage.
>
> Am i missing something ?

Likely fencing either isn't configured or isn't working. If you think it
is working, check the logs. If you're using IPMI for fencing alone, it
will fail when you pull power entirely because IPMI dies with the host
(this is why I use a pair of switched PDUs as a backup fence method).

In sort;
* Node fails, fencing is called
* DLM is informed and blocks (all things using DLM block as a consequence)
* fence succeeds
* DLM reaps lost locks
* Recovery runs
* Services resume normal operation

Without successful fencing, the only safe option is to lock up (the idea
being that, as bad as it is to lock up, it's better than risking a split
brain).

Digimer
access to education?