[DRBD-user] Is this configuration a bad idea?

Dan Craciun dany.craciun at gmail.com
Wed May 6 19:15:52 CEST 2015

Hi,

I have 2 servers running about 10 OpenVZ containers and 4 KVM VMs, using
Proxmox as a frontend.

Both servers have 1TB hdds, mirrored using zfs.

I'm considering adding high availability to this setup.

My idea: configure a third server as a backup and use DRBD to mirror the
data from both servers over the network.

Most guides I've seen on the Internet assume you're going to use full
disks for DRBD mirrors.

In this case, I would create a partition on each server (200-300 GB) and
use DRBD to constantly mirror data on the third server.

Is this setup possible? The third server would have 2 different DRBD
partitions.

What do you recommend running on top of the DRDB partitions? ext4?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Dan