[DRBD-user] Device name change 8.4.3 to 8.4.6?

Charles Lyons - ConnetU charles at connetu.com
Sun May 3 00:17:29 CEST 2015

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the feedback. It may well be that the original behaviour
(keeping leading zeros) was unintended, but the fact it worked
previously meant we stayed with it. I do notice newer docs refer to
"DRBD also allows for user-defined block device names which must,
however, start with drbd_" - completely custom names with an underscore
didn't used to exist, so I wonder if when this was introduced there was
a side-effect of stripping leading zeros from the minor introduced as well?

According to the docs I think I should be okay to keep the existing
resource name as "drbd0061" provided I change the "device" stanza to
read "/dev/drbd61":

Resource name: This can be any arbitrary, US-ASCII name not containing
whitespace by which the resource is referred to.

DRBD device: This is a virtual block device managed by DRBD... The
associated block device is usually named /dev/drbdX, where X is the
device minor number.

Is that correct? If that's the case, I should be able to work around all
of this completely non disruptively and make it backwards compatible in
our scripts. If I have to change resource names as well, it becomes much
more laborious.

Thanks for your input,
Charles.