[DRBD-user] DRBD offline resize problem

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Sat Mar 21 21:36:32 CET 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 02:45:00PM +0100, Roland Gsell wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm new to DRBD and I tried to resize a DRBD resource recently, but in
> the end the machine didn't startup afterwards (can't find boot
> device).
>
> Maybe someone can tell me what I did wrong.

Probably nothing.

We have had a serious bug in drbdmeta.
Quoting the commit message

4413afe drbdmeta: fix data corruption during offline resize

    Regression introduced in 8.4.3, still present in 8.4.4.

    When offline resizing internal meta data, drbdmeta forgot to
    properly re-initialize the new meta data offsets in time,
    and would move the old meta data into the existing data area,
    starting with offset 0 instead, thereby corrupting the first part
    of the data, up to the size of the old bitmap area.
    (embeded disk image partition table, file system super block,
    top level directory, all gone!)

 :-(

	Lars Ellenberg