[DRBD-user] "BAD! sector..." error message from DRBD 8.4.3 in dmesg

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:41:53 CET 2015

Greetings,

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Adam Błaszczykowski <
adam.blaszczykowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am testing DRBD 8.4.3 with kernel 3.4.69 and I have error messages in
> dmesg on both nodes. I tested DRBD on different servers with new disks to
> make sure that this problem isn't related with hardware but still the same
> issue. During all of my tests I was copying the data to DRBD volume.
>
> Please, I will be glad if you can help me with this problem.

Did you find a solution/explanation for this?  I am running this on 3.13
kernel (ubuntu 14.04), DRBD 8.4.3

I am observing this on *one* pair of servers, the other servers seems to be
fine.  However, I did found hardware-related issues on these servers,
related to CPU stuck messages during online verification.  This was cured
by BIOS update (that bumped CPU microcode from 0x14 to 0x15), this is a
Xeon E5620 CPU.

However, now, as I resync (online verification marked lots of OOS), I get
the very same messages:

On Secondary:
block drbd1: BAD! sector=1771175320s enr=54051 rs_left=-51 rs_failed=0
count=128 cstate=SyncTarget

On Primary:
block drbd1: BAD! sector=1771175320s enr=54051 rs_left=-51 rs_failed=0
count=128 cstate=SyncSource

I have lots of these as the sync continues, from 3 to 10 per minute.

Before doing the online verification, I had *silent* data corruption on the
secondary (I tried to move services to secondary, in order to work on
primary with OS updates), this is when I noticed secondary was in fact out
of sync: missing files, wrong disk space, ... clear signs of filesystem
corruption, even though /proc/drbd showed UpToDate/UpToDate.  I blame the
initial corruption on the hardware problems, due to firmware, as I have not
observed this on any other pair of servers.

Thanks!

Ildefonso