[DRBD-user] Kernel Oops on peer when removing LVM snapshot

Robert Altnoeder robert.altnoeder at linbit.com
Mon Jun 22 11:41:54 CEST 2015

If I did not misunderstand what this is about, then the problem seem to
be this:

You are using a DRBD device as the physical volume for a volume group.
As soon as something changes in that volume group, e.g. you add or
remove volumes (such as snapshots), the metadata for that volume group
on the physical volume changes.
That is what you replicate to the peer (the secondary), so all the LVM
on the peer can see, is data magically changing on its physical volume,
and that's where the kernel Oops is coming from, because data is not
supposed to change without the local node knowing about it. This is an
unsafe scenario unless there is some kind of synchronization in place on
the LVM level (e.g. "Clustered LVM" aka CLVM -- instead of the normal
LVM, which is not designed to operate on shared or replicated storage).

br,
Robert