[DRBD-user] help for recovering data (magic not found, no mirror available)

Raphaël Jadot rj at hodo.fr
Tue Jul 21 09:27:12 CEST 2015

Hello,

In my office we were in process of migrating some data that were previously installed on drdb HA (the data was on a qcow2 image, separated from the system, a debian release, also on a qcow2 image)

The secondary resource was destroyed because of a physical issue on server, so we had to recover data from primary resource. As the overall system was not installed by me, and I have only a very basic knowledge of drbd, we were in process of copying all the data on another server. Almost all was done,  only was missing a database which we needed to wait the evening to stop, dump and copy.

I was incredibly unlucky but only a couple of hours before dumping the database, the metadata of the drbd volume became corrupted.

Trying to reattach the resource, here are the outputs

output is
1: Failure: (119) No valid meta-data signature found.
	==> Use 'drbdadm create-md res' to initialize meta-data area. <==
Command 'drbdsetup 1 disk /dev/vdc /dev/vdc internal --set-defaults --create-device' terminated with exit code 10

system messages are:
[ 3230.620185] block drbd1: Starting worker thread (from drbdsetup [3865])
[ 3230.620324] block drbd1: disk( Diskless -> Attaching )
[ 3230.620564] block drbd1: Error while reading metadata, magic not found.
[ 3230.621442] block drbd1: disk( Attaching -> Diskless )
[ 3230.621502] block drbd1: drbd_bm_resize called with capacity == 0
[ 3230.621508] block drbd1: worker terminated
[ 3230.621511] block drbd1: Terminating drbd1_worker

As I'm totally new in drbd, I may ask a dumb question, but is there a possibility to recover data in this condition, knowing that I have no other mirror on which I could sync?

Regards,

Raphaël Jadot