[DRBD-user] split brain issues

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Jan 26 11:05:38 CET 2015

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 10:42:22AM +0100, Lechner Richard wrote:
> Repost from 13ten Jan.
>
> Hello all,
>
> sorry this will be a longer post!
>
> I have some strange issues since a few weeks. Sometimes drbd running into a
> split brain but i not real understand why!
> I run a proxmox cluster with 2 nodes and only one VM is running on the first
> node (Node1), so the other node (Node2) is the HA-backupnode to switch the VM
> when something happen.
>
> The disc's are md's on both nodes:
>
> Personalities : [raid1]
> md2 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
>       2930129536 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
>

> Drbd-Config:
> resource r1 {
>         protocol C;
>         startup {
>                 wfc-timeout  0;
>                 degr-wfc-timeout 60;
>                 become-primary-on both;
>         }
>         net {
>         sndbuf-size 10M;
>         rcvbuf-size 10M;
>         ping-int 2;
>         ping-timeout 2;
>         connect-int 2;
>         timeout 5;
>         ko-count 5;

unit of timeout: 0.1 seconds.
2.5 seconds total timeout.
Peak latencies of that are not unheard of.  Can happen on a busy system,
on a busy network, on a busy IO substem, or even just on a lazy day...

That's simply too aggressively configured.

> Jan 12 10:49:34 node1 kernel: block drbd0: Remote failed to finish a request
> within ko-count * timeout

Timeout.
"Surprise"

> PS: I get Eric's post where he mention: "The split brain would only happen on
> dual primary. "
> So i changed to Primary/Secondary and stoped the HA in Proxmox.

Most "HA" in "Proxmox" I came accross over the years is very much
misconfigured and works only by accident in good weather conditions.

But being generous with timeouts would help already.

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: http://www.LINBIT.com | Your Way to High Availability