[DRBD-user] resize2fs not working after drbd resize

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Fri Jan 16 04:37:02 CET 2015

Hi,
I'm running a small-ish pacemaker+drbd cluster of two virtual machines
and when I try to resize it the resizing of the block device seems to
work fine but when i finally try to also resize the ext4 filesystem on
/dev/drbd1 I get this:

[root at nfs2 ~]# resize2fs -p /dev/drbd1
resize2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Filesystem at /dev/drbd1 is mounted on /srv/nfs/data; on-line resizing
required
old desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 1
Performing an on-line resize of /dev/drbd1 to 1048279 (4k) blocks.
resize2fs: Invalid argument While trying to add group #25

The backing device is a partition on a dedicated disk. The way I perform
the resize is I take one node down, resize the disk on the host side,
start the vm up again, use fdisk to delete the old partition and
re-create it with the same start sector and the highest possible
end-sector (I select the default fdisk provides), start the drbd service
which  prints "r0Internal drbd meta data successfully moved", stop the
drbd service and finally start pacemaker.
After that I set the other node on standby and perform the same
operation there which gives the same output  plus it then starts
synchronizing the added space.
When both nodes are in sync again and pacemaker is running on both nodes
again and everything looks fine I try the resize2fs command with the
above result.

I also did a read-only e2fsck to see what the result is:

[root at nfs2 ~]# e2fsck -n /dev/drbd1
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Warning!  /dev/drbd1 is mounted.
Warning: skipping journal recovery because doing a read-only filesystem
check.
/dev/drbd1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Resize inode not valid.  Recreate? no

Inode 7, i_blocks is 6104, should be 5224.  Fix? no

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
Free blocks count wrong (764832, counted=797367).
Fix? no

Free inodes count wrong (196593, counted=204785).
Fix? no

/dev/drbd1: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

/dev/drbd1: 8207/204800 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 54368/819200 blocks

I'm not sure what to make of this. From what I read on the web it should
be possible to accomplish this but for some reason it doesn't work.
Any ideas what could be wrong?

Regards,
  Dennis