[DRBD-user] DRBD9 Split-brain : primary goes to outdated ?

Julien Escario escario at azylog.net
Tue Dec 8 17:14:54 CET 2015

Hello,
I'm currently trying some setups with DRBD9.

Today, I simulated a network failure between two nodes in protocol A with two
ressources created using DRBDmanage 0.5.
For this, I disabled and re-enabled a switch port on NodeB.

Both ressources were sync and only NodeA was primary. NodeB was secondary :
vm-102-disk-1 role:Primary
  disk:UpToDate
  NodeB role:Secondary
    peer-disk:UpToDate

vm-102-disk-2 role:Primary
  disk:UpToDate
  NodeB role:Secondary
    peer-disk:UpToDate

My problem is that ressources on NodeA (the primary) became outdated and
ressources on NodeB were primary when the disconnection occured.

I think this is not the expected behavior, right ? (perhaps not for an unknown -
to me - reason).

Below some debug infos.

Thanks for your advices,
Julien

Immediately after disconnect on NodeA :
# drbdadm status
.drbdctrl role:Secondary
  volume:0 disk:UpToDate
  volume:1 disk:UpToDate
  NodeB role:Secondary
    volume:0 peer-disk:UpToDate
    volume:1 peer-disk:UpToDate

vm-102-disk-1 role:Primary
  disk:Outdated
  NodeB connection:StandAlone

vm-102-disk-2 role:Primary
  disk:Outdated
  NodeB connection:StandAlone

And on NodeB :
# drbdadm status
.drbdctrl role:Secondary
  volume:0 disk:UpToDate
  volume:1 disk:UpToDate
  NodeA role:Secondary
    volume:0 peer-disk:UpToDate
    volume:1 peer-disk:UpToDate

vm-102-disk-1 role:Secondary
  disk:UpToDate
  NodeA connection:StandAlone

vm-102-disk-2 role:Secondary
  disk:UpToDate
  NodeA connection:StandAlone

Full log about ressource vm-102-disk-1 (including resync) can be found here :
http://pastebin.com/L2SgaKGs