[DRBD-user] <1>error creating netlink socket - can't get drbd startet on ubuntu 14.04

Merlin Morgenstern merlin.morgenstern at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 09:36:42 CEST 2015

I have a newly configured DRBD-Cluster 8.4.5 on 2 VM running ubuntu 14.04,
following this example: http://geekpeek.net/configure-drbd-ubuntu/

Unfortunatelly I can not start the service. It seems to be either a network
setup problem or maybe a incompatibility issue with 8.4.x on ubuntu 14.04

This is the msg I get:

sudo /etc/init.d/drbd start
 * Starting DRBD resources
                                       [
]
<1>bind(s->s_fd, (struct sockaddr*) &s->s_local, sizeof(s->s_local))
failed: -1 No such file or directory

<1>error creating netlink socket
 DRBD's startup script waits for the peer node(s) to appear.
 - In case this node was already a degraded cluster before the
   reboot the timeout is 30 seconds. [degr-wfc-timeout]
 - If the peer was available before the reboot the timeout will
   expire after 30 seconds. [wfc-timeout]
   (These values are for resource 'disk1'; 0 sec -> wait forever)
 To abort waiting enter 'yes' [ 120]:No response from the DRBD driver!
Is the module loaded?

The config file

resource disk1
{
   startup {
   wfc-timeout 30;
   outdated-wfc-timeout 20;
   degr-wfc-timeout 30;
 }

net {
   cram-hmac-alg sha1;
   shared-secret sync_disk;
 }

syncer {
   rate 100M;
   verify-alg sha1;
 }

on node1 {               # Node1 defined
   device /dev/drbd0;
   disk /dev/sdb;                   # Device to use with DRBD
   address 192.168.57.120:7789;       # IP Address and port of Node1
   meta-disk internal;
 }

on node2 {               # Node2 defined
   device /dev/drbd0;
   disk /dev/sdb;                   # Device to use with DRBD
   address 192.168.57.130:7789;       # IP Address and port of Node2
   meta-disk internal;
 }
}

There is little to nothing to find on the net on how to solve this. Any
help is greatly appreciated.